Activision Blizzard springs back into action

News posted by Ryan on June 4th, 2009 at 10:35pm GMT

Activision BlizzardIt turns out that Activision Blizzard was serious several months ago when it threatened to throw a lawsuit out of its pram: the former publisher of Brutal Legend has just sued the game’s developer, Double Fine.

According to The Escapist’s research, the whole publishing fiasco had a little more to it than we first thought. Apparently Double Fine missed their 2008 target that was advertised in the original trailer, and requested an extra year plus $7 million to finish the game — something Activision clearly wasn’t happy with after already investing $15 million.

As Double Fine supposedly retained the rights to its game all along, it was free to find a new publisher for its game. Activision wasn’t interesting in continuing to fund development, so the options were pretty much either Double Fine finds a new publisher or the project dies.

Double Fine did find a new publisher, and a fantastically supportive one at that which allowed the developer to truly realise its vision for the game. Now Activision has seen what it missed out on, and clearly wants some of the glory.

I guess we’ll have to let the courts decide who is in the right here. I’d say its very likely Activision won’t be able to claw the game back from Electronic Arts, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it does manage to get some kind of settlement out of this. Activision kind of funded the majority of Brutal Legend‘s development, and is going to get absolutely nothing out of it — it’s not hard to see how the court might have some sympathy.

Update

[June 5th, 2009 at 9:15am GMT+1] Brutal Legend designer Tim Schafer has responded with a brief statement:

“Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it. Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too.”

Unfortunately things like this can’t be settled by wits alone, so Double Fine will need a legal team that’s just as sharp!

7 headbangers have commented on this post
1. Tomas 7 years, 11 months ago

Confirmed! Activision is the new EA.

2. Andy 7 years, 11 months ago

OH! It hurts my brain and

3. Lord Lui 7 years, 11 months ago

goddamn it!! i officially fuckin hate activision/blizzard!

4. Coggs 7 years, 11 months ago

Its true, Activision is the new EA, and EA is the new AWESOME publisher.

I can belive these clowns were stupid enough to drop Brutal Legend, not to mention Ghostbusters! Two games I know I am buying for sure.

Did you guys see Tims response to these fools?

“Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it,” Schafer said. “Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too.”

Haha, now thats just classic!

5. tredlow 7 years, 10 months ago

You know what I hate? The fact that I just got over the hatred of one videogame company, then another arise.

When I heard the announcement that LucasArts is making new MI games with Telltale, I instantly erased the decade-old grudge I have against them. And then this shit storm happens

6. motodude 7 years, 10 months ago

i hope they don’t stop them from making the game or i’ll sue them

7. exterminater999 7 years, 10 months ago

i think if activision delay the release date then we should all sue activision for being C***s
i really badly want to play this game, so if its delayed, i will have to decapitate Bobby Kotick, Brütal Legend style :P